Big Data has been and is a huge topic. So let’s take a look at some of the interesting facts about Big Data and it’s growth over the last years and what is to be expected.
- Less than 0.5% of all data we create is ever analysed and used.
I’d say there is still lots of room for improvement, right? (Source)
- At the beginning of 2020, the number of bytes in the digital universe was 40 times more than the number of stars in the observable universe, a mind-boggling amount! (Source)
- At the beginning of 2020, the digital universe was estimated to consist of 44 zettabytes of data.
To put things into perspective, a zettabyte is 1,000 bytes to the seventh power. In other words, one zettabyte has 21 zeroes. (Source)
- Recent guesstimates have placed Google’s server count at more than 1 million. But new data on Google’s energy use suggests that the company is probably running about 900,000 servers. (Source)
- By 2025, the amount of data generated each day is expected to reach 463 exabytes globally (An exabyte is 1,000 bytes to the sixth power.
Good luck doing the math to figure out and wrap your head around the overall amount of data on the internet that would be created five years from now. (Source)
- By 2020 (i am curious if the previously estimated numbers will be correct), there will be more than 50 billion smart connected devices in the world, collecting, analysing and sharing data. (Source)
- It is estimated that humanity will take 1,436,300,000,000 photos in 2020… that’s over 1.4 trillion.
Nearly 80% of these photos will be taken on smart phones and most will become searchable data, I guess we should think twice about what we post online. (Source)
- Google handles over 75,000 queries per second, more than 2.5 trillion searches per year.
Google doesn’t freely share information related to its total search queries. The next best option is to look at live stats and extrapolate the data. (Source)
- By 2020 (predictions aren’t always to be trusted, especially considering some of these were made a couple of years ago, but I decided to include them anyway), about 1.7 megabytes of new information will be created every second for every human on the planet, and around 1/3 of all data will be processed through the cloud. (Source)
- Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and Amazon are custodians of at least 1,200 petabytes of people’s information. (Source)
I hope you found these facts interesting and inspiring. Please let me know your views on the topic if you have a minute 🙂